Intel EtherExpress 100 in DEC Alpha (UDB/Multia)

tom minchin tom@interact.net.au
Tue May 11 06:21:36 1999

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 12:33:58AM -0700, Brendan Miller wrote:

> May 10 15:52:44 molybdenum kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0000 a
> t 20/35 command 00020000.
> May 10 15:52:44 molybdenum kernel: eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter...
>
> and with it, temporary network outages to this machine.
>
> I notice from the mailing list archives that this is a historic problem.
> but I did not deduce a solution from my reading.  Being a UDB, this is
> a single processor machine.  I am using kernel version 2.2.3 and eepro100.c
> version 1.06.
>
> What is the problem?

You could try this (as recommended by another list member) in your conf.modules:

alias eth0 eepro100
options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

This didn't help my problem (I think our Alteon is the problem).

Ob: whilst trying to narrow down the problem, I replaced one card with an
epic100. The eepro100 uses a lot more interrupts than the epic100 (nearly
double).

tom@interact.net.au

tom@interact.net.au