2.2.2 packet loss

Matt Ranney mjr@ranney.com
Tue Mar 2 18:15:58 1999

Hi there.  I'm not really sure where this goes, but it comes up
whenever the module loads, so I figure it must be somewhat relevant.

The other day I posted a message to linux-kernel about some very poor
TCP performance that I'm noticing under Linux 2.2.2.  tcpdumps reveal
that packets are being lost at a much higher rate than the same
hardware running 2.0.36.  Is this a known problem?

My hardware is an Intel Nightshade motherboard with the onboard
eepro100, onboard NCR SCSI controller, 512MB of RAM, and the eepro is
forcing full duplex mode to the Bay switch it is connected to.  The
Bay switch detects it as such.  Packets are still lost without full
duplex mode, but I really would like the performance of FD.

I have several identical machines, and they all have this nasty
lossage when trying to open many connections in very short succession.
The exact same code running on the same hardware under 2.0.36 results
in no (or very very little) packet loss.

If there's anyway I can help to track this problem down, please let me
know.

Thanks.
--
Matt Ranney - mjr@ranney.com