SONY SuperSlim VAIO

Curtis Brune curtis_brune@workspot.com
Sun Jun 27 23:08:43 1999

Latest news.  The ethernet adapter works!  The trick was to turn off the
Plug-n-Play OS option from the BIOS.  It was in the Ethernet-HOWTO
(excerpted)

3.7.3.  PCI machine detects card but driver fails probe.

  Newer PCI BIOSes may not enable all PCI cards at power-up, especially
  if the BIOS option `PNP OS' is enabled. This mis-feature is to support
  the next release of Windows which still uses some real-mode drivers.
  Either disable this option, or try and upgrade to a newer driver which
  has the code to enable a disabled card.

This was using the vanilla Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 distribution which uses
kernel 2.0.36 .  Plan to upgrade to 2.2.10 as soon possible, because I
need USB support bad .... the floopy drive depends on it.

Cheers,
Curt