*very* sluggish at 100Mb/s but OK at 10Mb/s??

Samuel Hahn SamHahn@StoneSpring.org
Wed Dec 22 20:11:07 1999

Simon - Please respond directly to my email address: I don't have an answer
for you, but I'm curious whether you use the on-board Cirrus Logic video, or
whether you've disabled it and added better video to this MB (I very much
want to do this myself). I know it's off-topic, so I'd like to ask you (or
anyone else out there?) offline to this list.
Thanks much - Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linux-eepro100@beowulf.org
[mailto:owner-linux-eepro100@beowulf.org]On Behalf Of
simonc@child.demon.co.uk
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 3:21 PM
To: linux-eepro100@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject: *very* sluggish at 100Mb/s but OK at 10Mb/s??

An Intel RC440FX Pentium Pro server with onboard EtherExpressPro100B at eth1
(and also a ISA Pro10+ at eth0). RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5-22, hub is an
Intel 330 (330T? I think) which is auto 10/100. It is running a mainly NT
network at mostly 100Mb/s, though a couple of 10Mb/s nics, and I have a
feeling that the NT machines are not running full duplex - not sure whether
this is controlled by the hub or by the settings on the individual machines?

(BTW this server has onboard scsi, and I see in the archives of the list
that this has been an issue in some cases).

I have added this linux server, and the performance of the 100B is
atrocious!! I ftp'd a file from it at about 6kb/s! and uploading was much
worse. In fact I haven't had a successful upload - trying today to upload a
newer eepro100.o the upload never got beyond 2k completed before timing out.

I've installed the 1.09l module after downloading from the web page, but no
better. It runs fine if I force 10Mb/s or 10Mb/s full duplex, but hopeless
on 100Mb/s whether half or full. There follow the diagnostics, the first set
are after installing the module with no options, and the second set are
after forcing it to 10Mb/s with options=0x50

Any suggestions folks? Thanks.

<config messages omitted>

--
Simon Child