EtherExpress PRO/100 Server Adapter - supported?

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 9 11:40:03 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:

> I have just taken delivery of an ethernet adapter that identifies itself
> as follows:
>
> Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Server Adapter
> PILA8480
>
> It has an onboard i960 on the thing, apparently it does great things to
> Netware or something.

Read the driver selection documentation at
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html
thus cannot be supported.

> Anyway, kudzu correctly picks up the card's existance (using a standard
> Redhat v6.1 installation), but the eepro100.o driver refuses to load:

Kudzu is wrong if it selects the eepro100 driver.

>     Ethernet controller: Intel Unknown device (rev 3).
>       Vendor id=8086. Device id=5201.
>       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe3000000 [0xe3000008].
>
> The keywords here seems to be "Unknown device". Is there some hope for
> this card?

No, not unless Intel writes the driver, and AFAIK they are not planning to.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov