Netatalk/Appletalk Problems with eepro100

Jay Doscher Jay@Doscher.com
Mon Apr 26 12:04:32 1999

>When netatalk (atalkd only) gets fired up, appletalk connections hang quite
>quickly, accompanied by messages in /var/log/messages:
>
>Apr 15 17:52:36 MACHINE kernel: eth3: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0000
at 17015/17030 command 00000000.
>Apr 15 17:52:36 MACHINE kernel: eth3: Trying to restart the transmitter...
>
>Has anyone else been having trouble with appletalk on the eepro100? More
>importantly, does anyone have a view on whether my above analysis is
correct
>(i.e. the hardware and driver are OK).

I have been experiencing the same problem as well trying to use the netatalk
file sharing services on a redhat linux machine (2.0.34 and 2.0.36) and have
been getting the same error messages.  The appletalk built into the kernel
seems to be working fine for me, but when I try to compile and use the
netatalk services, I get the same error and it does something funky to my
nic's- it usually requires a full reboot to get the card working again.
Quite frankly, I gave up and am trying to find an NFS client for the few
macs that I have to support.  I guess you're not alone, but all I can say is
that I believe it to be netatalk.

Jay
jay@doscher.com