transfers slow in one direction

Greg Tillman GTILLMAN@maine.edu
Thu Apr 8 13:26:41 1999

Well, folks might (or might not) be interested to know that I got fed up
with the whole thing, moved the two network cards to a different computer,
and everything works fine now.

Except . . .  testing the thruput with netperf (TCP STREAM TEST on linux
2.0.36) seems to lead to bifurcated results.  At 10-second tests, about
half the tests yield 80 Mb/sec, and about half yield 12 Mb/sec.  This
diminishes, but does not go away, as the test time increases.  At 5 minute
tests, a little more than half the tests range from 30 to 50 Mb/sec, and
the rest are still at 12 to 15.  This is not my area of expertise - any
thoughts appreciated.

- greg tillamn