"Transmit timed out" with EtherExpress Pro100B

Serguei Koubouchine ksi@gu.net
Tue Oct 6 07:52:20 1998

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Serguei Koubouchine wrote:
>
> > The eepro100 driver is BUGGY. Unfortunately enough, Donald Becker seems to
> > consider it being top quality, so we don't have any hope to get those
> > adapters work in our machines :-( The old driver included in the kernel
> > trees does work with any number of multicast filters provided this number is
> > one... Donald's recipe for the driver is "Don't use gated", which does
> > effectively mean "Don't use eepro100 at all"... All bug reports sent to
> > Donald seem to go to /dev/null - no answer, no reaction at all :-(
> >
> > So being a realist I'd suggest everybody to forget about eepro100 existance
> > at all...
>
> Oooo, brutal!  I have to say that I use the eepro100 in (16) Dell
> poweredge 2300's and just benchmarked them full duplex through a switch
> at 95.6 Mbps (data only) or 98.5% of wire speed, accounting for the
> headers.  This is going both ways at once, so the aggregate bandwidth
> was 191 Mbps.  The network is stable enough that several of the systems
> were up for months diskless (while awaiting a functioning aic7xxx).

Did you try to get AT-2560TX working without mii-diag voodoo? Did you try to
work it reliably with that voodoo? FYI: this card is clearly announced as
working at Donald's site...

BTW, do you happen to do any routing on that poweredges? Did you try to use
gated or ipv6 with eepro100?

Serguei Koubouchine aka the Tamer < > The impossible we do immediately.
e-mail: ksi@gu.net   SK320-RIPE   < > Miracles require 24-hour notice.