[netatalk-admins] AppleTalk crashes EEPro100 on a bonded etherchannel

Erik Schwiebert eschwieb@halcyon.com
Tue Nov 24 12:06:45 1998

At 1:14 AM -0800 11/24/98, Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:
>[This post is partially off-topic for both lists, sorry about
>that. I'm still posting it to both because it's also partially
>on-topic for both, and will probably be of interest to readers
>on both lists.. Please adjust reply addresses accordingly.]
>
>Hardware: 350MHz P-II with two Intel EEPro100's, connected to a Cisco
>Catalyst 2924XL on both ports.
>
>Software: Linux 2.0.36 with Beowulf channel bonding patch, eepro100
>driver versions 0.99B and 1.04 tested. Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.0.
>
>Problem:
>
>However, I soon notice that the machine's entire ethernet layer starts
>crashing. The error is familiar from the multicast debugging: "kernel:
>eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000." All network
>traffic stops for 10-20 seconds, Linux notices something is wrong,
>resets the ethernet layer, and things work again for a minute or two
>until the same repeats.

I munched a bunch of text.  I'm seeing the same problem in my Linux box
with two EEPro 100's.  My configuration is slightly different:  I have an
ADSL coonection on eth0, and an home network on eth1, with IP masquerading
to give the home network access to the internet.  Every time i enable
atalkd, i get a slew of

kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000."

messages (sometimes the status is 0090).

My internal network is composed of 3 macs and a printer, and i'd like to
get the Linux box running netatalk so i can use it as a common file server
and temporary backup storage site, since its HD is several times bigger
than the HD's in my macs.

Schwieb

--
Erik Schwiebert                                       http://www.hokusai.com/