[Beowulf] HPCG benchmark, again

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Fri Mar 18 23:07:17 UTC 2022

Dear all,

further the emails back in 2020 around the HPCG benchmark test, as we are in
the process of getting a new cluster I was wondering if somebody else in the
meantime has used that test to benchmark the particular performance of the
cluster.
From what I can see, the latest HPCG version is 3.1 from August 2019. I also
have noticed that their website has a link to download a version which
includes the latest A100 GPUs from nVidia.
https://www.hpcg-benchmark.org/software/view.html?id=280

What I was wondering is: has anybody else apart from Prentice tried that test
and is it somehow useful, or does it just give you another set of numbers?

Our new cluster will not be at the same league as the supercomputers, but we
would like to have at least some kind of handle so we can compare the various
offers from vendors. My hunch is the benchmark will somehow (strongly?) depend
on how it is tuned. As my former colleague used to say: I am looking for some
war stories (not very apt to say these days!).

Either way, I hope you are all well given the strange new world we are living
in right now.

All the best from a spring like dark London

Jörg