[Beowulf] LSF vs Slurm

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:43:11 UTC 2022

We did this move about a decade ago when LSF started increasing the
costs for licensing, so I can't say about modern LSF vs. Slurm as we did
that cutover a long time ago.  That said our original rationale was cost
but also feature set as Slurm had a better and more modern feature set
than LSF at the time.  As for the cut over we planned it to go with
moving from CentOS5 to CentOS6 so from the user perspective it was
ripping the bandaid.  It took about 6 months of work to get things setup
on the backend as we got used to how slurm worked before we put it in
production.  I think with the current version of slurm it should be much
faster as things have really come a long way over the past decade with
Slurm.

-Paul Edmon-