[Beowulf] Understanding environments and libraries caching on a beowulf cluster

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Jun 28 21:32:59 UTC 2022

On 28/6/22 11:44 am, leo camilo wrote:

> My time indeed has a cost, hence I will favour a "cheap and dirty"
> solution to get the ball rolling and try something fancy later.

One thing I'd add is the use of some sort of cluster management system
can be very handy to let you manage things as a whole. I've never used
Qlustar that Tony mentioned but it does look interesting from a quick
scan of the website.

I'm also a big fan of booting nodes from a standard image as a ramdisk
and then mounting the filesystems you need containing apps and user
files from some sort of shared storage.

The benefit with using standard images is that it's very easy to keep
everything in step, you don't get gradual configuration drift as changes
are made to some nodes and not others (perhaps one was down for some
hardware work at one point and so a change couldn't be applied, etc, etc).

Best of luck!
Chris
--
Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA