[Beowulf] Question about fair share

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Jan 25 00:54:03 UTC 2022

On 1/24/22 11:17 am, Tom Harvill wrote:

> We use a 'fair share' feature of our scheduler (SLURM) and have our
> decay half-life (the time needed for priority penalty to halve) set to
> 30 days.  Our maximum job runtime is 7 days.  I'm wondering what others
> use, please let me know if you can spare a minute.  Thank you!

We use Slurm but we don't use fairshare, instead we have a priority
threshold which jobs have to age to before they can get a forward
reservation on nodes (they can of course backfill before then). We
configure things so that jobs age at ~1 priority point per minute and
then set our QOS's so that the start time is a certain amount of time
away from that threshold.

We also set things up so that only 2 jobs per user+account+qos
association can age, and once one starts running the next in line will
begin ageing.

All the best,
Chris
--