[Beowulf] Data Destruction

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:57:17 UTC 2021

In this case, we've successfully pushed back with the granting agency (US NIH,
generally, for us) that it's just not feasible to guarantee that the data
are truly gone on a production parallel filesystem. The data are encrypted
at rest (including offsite backups), which has been sufficient for our
purposes. We'll then just use something like GNU shred(1) to do a
best-effort secure delete.

In addition to RAID, other confounding factors to be aware of are snapshots
and cached data.

Skylar