[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Deskside clusters

Lawrence Stewart stewart at serissa.com
Mon Sep 20 16:17:20 UTC 2021

Well said.  Expanding on this, caches work because of both temporal locality and
spatial locality.  Spatial locality is addressed by having cache lines be substantially
larger than a byte or word.  These days, 64 bytes is pretty common.  Some prefetch schemes,
like the L1D version that fetches the VA ^ 64 clearly affect spatial locality.  Streaming
prefetch has an expanded notion of “spatial” I suppose!

What puzzles me is why compilers seem not to have evolved much notion of cache management. It
seems like something a smart compiler could do.  Instead, it is left to Prof. Goto and the folks
at ATLAS and BLIS to figure out how to rewrite algorithms for efficient cache behavior. To my
limited knowledge, compilers don’t make much use of PREFETCH or any non-temporal loads and stores
either. It seems to me that once the programmer helps with RESTRICT and so forth, then compilers could perfectly well dynamically move parts of arrays around to maximize cache use.

-L