[Beowulf] head node abuse

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Mar 26 14:25:32 UTC 2021

Honest advice ... aka my personal $.02 ...

This is a problem that can't entirely be solved via technical means like
resource constraints or cgroup controls. This is more of a training,
knowledge transfer and acceptable use policy issue and fixing the
problem has to include these elements.

What I've learned over many years is that end-users looking to game the
system will always have more time and more motivation to find evasive
methods than IT and sysadmins have to catch and close the loopholes.

I tend to recommend making "head node abuse" an employee behavior /
management issue and I only do the bare minimum resource fencing on the
head nodes and submission nodes to keep the nodes from being run into
the ground.

Process works like this:

- If you want to use the Cluster you either take a short training course
or if you are experienced you read and sign our HPC acceptable use
policy that clearly explains what you can and cannot do on the head
nodes, submit nodes and login nodes. We also point you to all our
documentation and training resources

- The first 1-2 times you are "caught" abusing the head node we treat it
as a simple training and knowledge transfer opportunity. No real
repercussions and a good opportunity for IT to reach out and work 1:1
with an end user to learn her/his requirements and workflow interests.
99% of the time the head node abuse stops here.

- The third time you are caught abusing the head node your login access
is terminated until you review the acceptable use policy and return a
documented acknowledgement. Your manager is CC'd on these emails but no
other repercussions

- The forth time you are caught we treat this as a non-trivial violation
of organizational policies. HR is notified along with your management
chain. Your cluster access is terminated until there is some sort of
process and plan worked through with HR and the user's manager