[Beowulf] Power Cycling Question

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Fri Jul 16 23:43:27 UTC 2021

Hi Doug,

interesting topic and quite apt when I look at the flooding in Germany,
Belgian and The Netherlands.

I guess there are a number of reasons why people are not doing it. Discarding
the usual "we never done that" one, I guess the main problem is: when do you
want  to turn it off? After 5 mins being idle? Maybe 10 mins? One hour? How
often do you then need to boot them up again and how much energy does that
cost? From chatting to a few people who tried it in the past it somehow
transpired that you do not save as much energy as you were hoping for.

However, on thing came to my mind: is it possible to simply suspend it to disc
and then let it be sleeping? That way, you wake the node up quicker and
probably need less power when it is suspended. Think of laptops.

The other way around would simply be: we know in say the summer, there is less
demand so we simply turn X number of nodes off and might do some maintenance
on them. So you are running the whole cluster for say 6 weeks with limited
capacity. That might mean a few jobs are queuing but that also will give us a
window to do things. Once people are coming back, the maintenance is done and
the cluster can run at full capacity again.

Just some (crazy?) ideas.

All the best

Jörg