[Beowulf] Project Heron at the Sanger Institute [EXT]

Alan Louis Scheinine alscheinine at tuffmail.us
Thu Feb 4 14:26:30 UTC 2021

Tim,
The post that includes

"It depends on what you’re doing.  If you already know the reference genome then, yes you can."
and later
"For some of our projects (Darwin Tree of Life being the prime example), you don’t know what the
reference genome looks like."
and the case
"not only doing de novo assembly as in the last example, but trying to do so when you don’t know how
many different genomes you have in the sample."

was very well written.  It covered many cases
and I found it to be very informative.  Though the
value of long reads versus throughput may not be
related to cluster computing, it was very interesting
to me -- and, I assume, other readers in the mailing
list.  E.g. I did not know that nanopore had become
commercially viable.

Best regards,
Alan

--