[Beowulf] [External] Re: apline linux [EXT]

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Feb 1 17:19:05 UTC 2021

I don't think the RAM footprint of a properly configured Linux OS is
much of a concern on a compute node these days.  And by properly
configured I mean unnecessary packages are not installed, and
unnecessary services are not started in the first place. When I
configure an OS install for a cluster, I go through every package
one-at-a-time and determine whether or not I need it on a cluster node.

A bigger concern would be being able to disable as many unnecessary
resources as possible to reduce OS overhead and therefore reduce 'OS
jitter' in job performance. It amazes me with each new version of a
distro how many more services seem to need to be running that you can't
easily remove.

Prentice

On 2/1/21 9:46 AM, Jonathan Aquilina via Beowulf wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I am asking from the non container side. If one wants to go bare metal
> wouldn’t that lower ram footprint that alpine provides be advantageous
> so you can maximize resource usage for what you want to crunch?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan

Prentice Bisbal
Lead Software Engineer