[Beowulf] [External] Re: Julia on POWER9?

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Oct 19 09:32:04 PDT 2020

Ugh. Another login name and password to remember, and another site to
check. What's wrong with good old-fashioned mailing lists?

Slack, Discourse, Github... I just don't understand what makes them
superior to mailing lists. I get using GitHub for bug-tracking, but I
see people using it more and more as a discussion forum.

Prentice

On 10/16/20 5:02 AM, John Hearns wrote:
> Hello Prentice. I think you need to come over to the Julia Discourse
>
> https://discourse.julialang.org/t/knet-on-powerpc64le-platform/48149
>
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 22:09, Joe Landman <joe.landman at gmail.com
> <mailto:joe.landman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Cool (shiny!)
>
>     On 10/15/20 5:02 PM, Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf wrote:
>>     So while you've all been discussing Julia, etc., I've been trying
>>     to build and get it running on POWER9 for a cluster of AC922
>>     nodes (same as Summit, but with 4 GPUs per node). After doing a
>>     combination of Google searching and soul-searching, I was able to
>>     get a functional version of Julia to build for POWER9. However,
>>     I'm not 100% sure my build is fully functional, as when I did
>>     'make testall' some of the tests failed.
>>
>>     Is there anyone on this list using or supporting the latest
>>     version of Julia, 1.5.2, on POWER9? If so, I'd like to compare
>>     notes. I imagine someone from OLCF is on this list.
>>
>>     Based on my Internet searching, as of August 2019 Julia was being
>>     used on Summit on thousands of cores, but I've also seen posts
>>     from the Julia devs saying they can't support the POWER
>>     architecture anymore because they no longer have access to POWER
>>     hardware. Most of this information comes from the Julia GitHub or
>>     Julia Discourse conversations.
>>
>     --
>     Joe Landman
>     e:joe.landman at gmail.com  <mailto:joe.landman at gmail.com>