[Beowulf] ganglia on CentOS 8?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 30 12:25:22 PDT 2020

Have any of you successfully configured ganglia on CentOS 8 (or RH or
any other equivalent)?  If so, please share the method, because it is
not working right for me.

To set it up on CentOS 7 it was just installed from EPEL, gexec turned
on in /etc/ganglia/gmond.conf, and enable, start with systemctl.

There was no package I could find for CentOS 8 so I tried both

    rpmbuild --rebuild ganglia-3.7.2-30.fc32.src.rpm

and

    rpmbuild --rebuild ganglia-3.7.2-31.fc31.src.rpm

Both of those built apparently OK.  Most recent install with:

dnf install ganglia-3.7.2-31.el8.x86_64.rpm
ganglia-gmond-3.7.2-31.el8.x86_64.rpm
ganglia-gmetad-3.7.2-31.el8.x86_64.rpm
#edit /etc/ganglia/gmond.conf to "gexec = yes"
systemctl install gmond.service
systemctl start gmond.service

There is just the one node ("poweredge.cluster') and gstat shows this:
CLUSTER INFORMATION
        Name: unspecified
       Hosts: 0
Gexec Hosts: 0
  Dead Hosts: 0
   Localtime: Mon Mar 30 12:21:27 2020

There are no hosts running gexec at this time.  If gmond is run manually
with

gmond -d 20 -f

it shows that it is collecting data, and that it sees the host, and it
shows that the gstat request was received and serviced.   This:

telnet 192.168.0.121 8649

elicits a well formed XML response, but one devoid of data.  Here is the
end part of it:

--
David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu