[Beowulf] Power per area

Scott Atchley e.scott.atchley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:33:06 PDT 2020

Summit uses both cold plates and rear-door heat exchangers. Frontier will
use Cray's Shasta cabinet which is all water cooled (no fans at all) and is
very high density. I am thinking of the systems after Frontier. Can we
continue to use cold plates or at some point does immersion become the only
alternative? I am not familiar enough with today's immersion, but I am not
sure that it is any more dense or efficient than Summit is. I look at
pictures of cyber-currency facilities with immersion tanks that are 3-4
feet high and I see a lot of empty space above them which could be holding
more compute.