[Beowulf] Interactive vs batch, and schedulers [EXT]

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 06:16:32 PST 2020

In the Grid Engine world, we've worked around some of the resource
fragmentation issues by assigning static sequence numbers to queue
instances (a node publishing resources to a queue) and then having the
scheduler fill nodes by sequence number rather than spreading jobs across
the cluster. This leaves some nodes free of jobs unless a really big job
comes in that requires entire nodes.

Since we're a bioinformatics shop, most of our jobs aren't parallel, though
a few job types require lots of memory (we have a handful of nodes in the
1TB-4TB RAM range). Grid Engine lets us isolate jobs from each other using
cgroups, where a job resource request is translated directly to the
resource (memory, CPU, etc.) limits of a cgroup.

Skylar