[Beowulf] 10G and rsync

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Thu Jan 2 07:31:23 PST 2020

Hi

we usually see close to wire-speed with rsync or other tools...

On 1/2/20 4:26 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> i'm using 'rsync -rav --progress --stats -x --inplace
> --compress-level=0 /dir1/ /dir2/' but each file (which is 100's of
> GB's) is getting choked at 100MB/sec
Hmm, Isn't this rsync running locally?

What I would try:

On one host (usually the receiver), start the rsync daemon with an
appropriate small rsyncd.conf file and then from the other end try
pushing into it, e.g.

rsyncd.conf:

[test]
path = /path/to/lustre/storage
uid = user
gid = group
list = yes
hosts allow = *
pid file = /run/rsync.pid
read only = no

and on the sender:

rsync -avx --progress --stats /path/to/local/dir rsync://targetmachine/test/

What does this result in?

Cheers

Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics,
Callinstraße 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany