[Beowulf] HPC for community college?

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:13:54 PST 2020

This was basically our intent with the LittleFe project[1] as well: a lot
of small institutions don't have the facilities or the expertise to run a
supercomputer, but they have students and faculty that would really benefit from
being able to learn the basics of parallel computing and HPC if only there
weren't cost and technical barriers in their way. The need is even present
at the high school level, since I know there's a handful of LittleFe units
that ended up at them through our build-out program. XSEDE is an option,
but especially for younger students having something they can touch and
"own" is a valuable motivator.

One challenge is that it's hard incorporating parallel/HPC into course
materials, but pedagogical resources like CSERD and JOCSE (both Shodor
Foundation projects) can be helpful.

[1] http://littlefe.net/
[2] http://www.shodor.org/refdesk/
[3] http://jocse.org/

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:23:22AM +0000, Chuck Petras wrote:
>    You could make it a really personal experience.
>

>    This looks like a fun board to cluster a bunch of Raspberry Pi's
>    https://turingpi.com/ or
>    https://www.mininodes.com/product/5-node-raspberry-pi-3-com-carrier-boa
>    rd/
>

>    That way the students could take their projects home with them. In
>    class they could cluster multiple of these carriers together.
>

>    Chuck Petras, PE**
>
>    Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc
>
>    Pullman, WA  99163  USA
>
>    http://www.selinc.com
>

>    SEL Synchrophasors - A New View of the Power System
>    <http://synchrophasor.selinc.com>
>

>    Making Electric Power Safer, More Reliable, and More Economical (R)
>

>    ** Registered in Oregon.

Skylar