[Beowulf] HPC, Big Data and Data Science devroom at FOSDEM'21

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at ugent.be
Sat Dec 12 21:20:07 UTC 2020

Hi all,

For the 7th time already, I'm co-organizing a "devroom" entitled "HPC,
Big Data, and Data Science" at the FOSDEM open source meetup.

FOSDEM is a big event that takes place in Brussels (Belgium) every year.
It is free to attend for everybody, requires no registration, and is
entirely organized by volunteers.

The event (usually) attracts over 8,000 open source software developers
from all over the world during the first weekend of February, from a
wide variety of backgrounds: web development, Linux kernel developers,
scientific computing, desktop environment, legal aspects, etc.

The HPC, Big Data and Data Science devroom at FOSDEM has been organized
for a couple of years now. Devrooms are basically just focused sessions
for specific open source software communities; see for example the
agenda of the HPC devroom at FOSDEM'20 (which still was an in-person
event...) at
https://archive.fosdem.org/2020/schedule/track/hpc_big_data_and_data_science/
.

More information on the HPC devroom at FOSDEM'21 is available at
https://hpc-bigdata-fosdem21.github.io .

FOSDEM'21 will be fully virtual (no surprise there), so definitely a
special edition...

Because of the virtual format, it's especially challenging this time to
attract sufficient high-quality submissions, so I wanted to reach out to
this list for help.

The submission deadline is really close (Tue Dec 15th 2020, may be
extended with a couple of days), but submissions are very light weight:
it basically comes down to a talk title + short description (no paper,
etc.).

The actual event is over the weekend of Feb 6-7 2021; the HPC devroom
itself is planned for Sunday Feb 7th.

Accepted talks will need to be pre-recorded by mid Jan'21 - the talks
will be live streamed during the event with live Q&A after each talk.

Please consider forwarding this message to people or projects who may be
interested in submitting a talk proposal, either to the HPC devroom, or
one of the many other devrooms at FOSDEM'21 (see
https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/tracks).

regards,

Kenneth

PS: I checked with Chris Samuel to ensure it's OK to post this message,
since call-for-participation messages are discouraged on this list.