[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8 [EXT]

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at einval.com
Fri Dec 11 10:45:23 UTC 2020

The problem with forking CentOS (or even just seeking to continue building it)
is that you will have all the same issues you have and no-one behind you to
help fix them.
I work (more or less) as a sysadmin - have done for years - and have been driven to distraction by Red Hat/CentOS at work,
devs wanting up to date software - and Debian throughout my personal life that
"just works". [I've been a Debian developer for a long time.]

I feel the collective pain.

The current Debian project leader has reached out to offer help in some sense.
https://jonathancarter.org/2020/12/10/centos-stream-or-debian/ - I'm willing
to help anyone where I can with issues or knowing where to point to to find
things or even just to be supportive.

This is a low traffic list that I've benefitted from hugely over the years:
if I can help somebody as I pass along ... This is a personal offer and not
to be construed as anything else: not committing the Debian Project as a whole
to anything (and also comes out of my copious free time as I'm still employed).

All the very best to all on the list, as ever,

Andy Cater

[amacater at debian.org]