[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8 [EXT]

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:12:47 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 8:05 AM Jonathan Aquilina
<jaquilina at eagleeyet.net> wrote:

> A fork is something im thinking about doing in all fairness. Hoping to start soon on it. Need to at this point figure out how to clone the repositories and start my own  testing etc.
> Anyone know what the bare minimum you need in terms of packages installed to get going with a core OS and then can slowly build on top of?

honestly, I hope it works out.  i often think about using the LFS
project and rolling my entirely own distro.  there's a lot of garbage
in all these distros (and software/libraries), i would love to strip
it all out.   the shift in centos mantra has definitely left a vacuum
in the market.

as for pkg counts, i suspect you're number is ~600 or so.  i strip the
rhel based hpc image i build at work from the kickstart @Core group
with additional subtractions (stupid firmware/etc rpms) and then build
up from there with the things i definately need.