[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Dec 9 11:52:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, 08 Dec 2020 21:50:13 +0000
Jörg Saßmannshausen <sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> what I never understood is: why are people not using Debian?

Well often comes down to high speed networks and storage. And it's
often not enough that it can be made to work when large contracts are
involved and comittment over time. For our part it's been GPFS, Lustre
and networking (together with those two).

Then for some systems and user groups there's commercial software with
quite rigid ideas of "supported system". Commercial CFD softwares,
Totalview, Gaussian, DDT, etc. comes to mind. They too may work but the
path of least resistance is (was) typically RHEL or derivatives...

For cluster deployment and (open source) scientific software I don't
think RHEL/CentOS will be that much missed.

/Peter K