[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Wed Dec 9 06:12:39 UTC 2020

Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf wrote:
> Also, I'm not surprised at all by this. It seemed like it would be only
> a matter of time after RH ntook control of CentOS that they'd do
> something to stop it from competing with RHEL. Why support a free
> product that cannibalizes your commercial sales?
>
> Prentice

Same here, they actually did say a few years ago(as far as I remember
shortly before Big Blue bought RH) that CentOS in the future would be
ahead of RHEL.

We've been using Springdale Open Enterprise Linux in some of our
clusters for about 4 years now, and I must say that the quality and the
speed at which Springdale is updated by the builders(ias.edu) is
unsurpassed. Springdale as a distro is older than CentOS, it was
formerly known as PUIAS Linux.

So, if you use CentOS, I can only recommend Springdale.

Excuse me, I'm off to persuade our ITOPS to move to Springdale :)

/tony

--
Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark