[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8 [EXT]

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 21:59:36 UTC 2020

On 8 Dec 2020, at 21:52, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at rutgers.edu<mailto:novosirj at rutgers.edu>> wrote:

It’s pretty common that if something supports only one distribution, it’s RedHat-based. That’s also true of hardware vendors.

True, officially, but often not officially.  Again, back around 2008 I found it hilariously irritating.  HP supported a lot of Debian activity in the background, and hosted quite a lot of the infrastructure.   Officially, they only supported Red Hat, but I discovered on a visit to Colorado Springs that they actually developed all their drivers using Debian, and then ported them to Red Hat!

A year or two later, I remember noticing that the firmware update ISOs that HP distributed were also Debian-based.  Even though they only distributed Red Hat RPMs on them.  Duh!

Tim

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research