[Beowulf] PLCC84, FPGA compute array.

Darren Wise darren at wisecorp.co.uk
Sat Sep 21 11:09:46 PDT 2019

Hey guys,

I've been meaning to create an array of FPGAs using my own designed, printed, assembled breakout board for PLCC84 derived FPGAs(and other PLCC84s) in order to demonstrate basic compute functions via this array'd method.. Mainly for personal kicks but it also has a two-prong attack ending solution like everything I do.

I could utilise this project as a demo in itself in order to prove worth of buying my own branded breakout boards and such as well.

-The reason I'm boring you so, is if anyone else in the HPC, Beowulf, CoW groups knows of any other FPGA derived projects like the one I've mentioned above.. I'm so sure a project a couple of years ago did something of the same very well but I cannot seem to find any knowledge of it via web searching anywhere, eitherthat or I'm using the incorrect phrases!

Do or has anyone read about an FPGA array board which is used to compute something? I'd just like to read up on how their solution turned out, types of FPGAs they decided on and such.. I've a vast selection and good numbers of what I could use but I do have around 150 spare ACTEL chips and I could easily get another 4-500 very cheaply if needed.

I'd be happy to send anyone an PLCC-84 branded breakout board I've designed from the group the next time I go to print too, it's just a PCB, PLCC-84 socket and 4, 2x11 female headers but I have plenty more created within KiCAD and others to go to print as the breakout project moves forward.

Kind regards,
Darren Wise