[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing?

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Sat Nov 30 22:39:52 PST 2019

MPI is not likely the best programming model at present for such a
scenario, because fault tolerance is not great. However, there are
people running many loosely coupled parallel programs on clusters
because the computational capacity and storage mechanisms make it
convenient, even if the interconnect is heavily underutilized. Thus it
is more a matter of finding appropriate workloads. Many data centers
often have idle capacity, appropriate preferential pricing policies can
make use of this - not something HPC community typically considers, but
something cloud and grid computing people have been working on for a
while. Comet computer at SDSC is targetting some of these workloads.