[Beowulf] MS-DOS DOSBOX

Jonathan Engwall engwalljonathanthereal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 17:11:01 PST 2019

Hello Chris,
I have found a sweetheart software in the pile of MS-DOS downloads, I am
glad you asked.
Dp26 is a nice database program which will give you a drop down menu for
each panel. That beats squinting at thumbnails, testing postman routes
(which I hate the most), or just plain trying to retrace your steps through
mongo or mySQL.
You can launch your database dropdown too as DOSbox itself is allegedly
scriptable, which I have not tested yet.
Presently I have completely locked myself out and am in the process of
regaining control of my system; but now I've stopped. In /var/log/messages
I found someone reserving IP addresses and moving directories. It is a
terrible mess.
Many sources say my permissions and /etc/shadow are correct. My new user
accessed the bash shell. But that is when I found further evidence. I can't
say I trust my installation at this point.
About MS-DOS, would you agree there is something to say for entertainment?
Windows203 works just fine (windows3.1 does not), soundblaster emulation is
fine, wide-screen full-screen is beautiful, Doom-era games are heart
stopping, pixelization is somehow minimized, it offers borlands TurboC, and
can be configured to emulate various machines, drives, and clock speeds; on
the very low end of entertainment (as I suggest you really should build
launcher button dp26 databases for your pdf's, images, videos, etc...)
DOSbox audibly looks for a dial tone (duh) and occupies a single core
completely.
On the dp26 side of things: what is really so nice about this 2004 software
is that in requiring indexed unique fields it will allow non-unique fields!
Now back to lynching my way up to burning a new live disc, as my live discs
have vanished.
Jonathan Engwall