[Beowulf] Containers in HPC

Alexander Antoniades sander at columbia.edu
Thu May 23 12:58:49 PDT 2019

Red Hat re-implemented the Docker using the Open Container Spec (which is
as far as I know a standard based on Docker) as a project called CRI-O
https://cri-o.io/ which removes the need for a daemon to run containers and
rectifies a lot of the security concerns by dividing the work of the daemon
into multiple tools. As of RHEL/Centos 7.7 and 8+ they allow for running
containers without root using that tool.

A lot of the security concerns apply more to regular servers which are
running Docker (or others) vs purpose build container hosting servers which
can be stripped down and hardened.

Thanks,

Sander