[Beowulf] HPE to acquire Cray

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Tue May 21 05:03:20 PDT 2019

On 5/18/19 11:54 AM, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On 17/5/19 12:37 pm, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>
>> That is my biggest fear for centos to be fair with the IBM RH
>> acquisition.
>
> I think IBM at least seems to get open source, especially around
> Linux. Now if it was Oracle who had bought them...

I can't agree with this enough. The last time this topic came up, I
pointed out that IBM deserves a LOT of credit for making Linux
well-known amongst the general population. They invested heavily in
Linux, and ran a whole advertising campaign about Linux. Sure, that was
almost 20 years ago, but I am still inclined believe IBM get's Linux
better than most other companies that target the enterprise market.

Here's a few example IBM Linux commercials from that period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ozaFbqg00

https://youtu.be/_Bu4hLxL_EM

https://youtu.be/fJA9eiUktcA