[Beowulf] HPE to acquire Cray

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at einval.com
Mon May 20 11:40:42 PDT 2019

On 20/05/2019 14:45, Alexander Antoniades wrote:
> I just wanted to point out that Fedora, while having a lot of volunteers
> is primarily driven by Red Hat employees, so I don't think forking it is
> a viable option. If you want to get an idea of what forking RHEL/Centos
> would be listen to an Oracle Linux rep who will be more than happy to
> tell you how much trouble they have untangling Red Hat's obfuscated
> kernel blobs. Red Hat invests a lot of money to keep their ancient
> franken-kernels running. I heard it took on the order of 5000 man hours
> to backport Spectre/Meltdown patches to RHEL 6.
>
>  Also this just what was given up when they announced the end of
> Scientific Linux recently, so if that's what anyone is thinking I think
> it makes more sense to reach out to them to see what it would take to
> keep that going.
>
> I wish that Debian was the default choice since they can't be bought and
> every other commercial Linux entity is financial precarious, which makes
> them less reliable than Red Hat to me. I don't doubt that it's doable
> but it would have to be the norm for a lot of us to start doing that
> since so much of the HPC specific tooling seems to be targeted to
> RHEL/Centos/SL.
>
> I had the same concerns regarding Centos, but I feel we're save in the
> near term and if it does start go sideways it will happen slowly enough
> that there should be enough to time to figure something else out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sander
>
> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at gmail.com
> <mailto:ghenriks at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:10:16 -0400, you wrote:
>
>     >On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:01 AM Jonathan Aquilina
>     ><jaquilina at eagleeyet.net <mailto:jaquilina at eagleeyet.net>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Redhat and IBM im worried as I use Centos big time and then the
>     only thing I can think of is forking fedora and roll a rolling
>     distro if they decide to pull the plug. But we have to wait and see.
>     >
>     >in regards to centos, that's another ugh moment.  i was looking to see
>     >when centos was going to drop v8.  to me the the one wiki page they
>     >put up reads like a big whine about how much work there is and people
>     >should stop asking.
>
>     This happens every time, people expect CentOS to ship at the same time
>     as RHEL and it has always been a couple of months later is my
>     recollection, perhaps with at least one case being longer.
>
>     While being part of Red Hat helps with some things it is still a large
>     amount of work, and the move to Fedora infrastructure will be causing
>     some new issues.
>
>     As for the Red Hat / IBM issue, time will tell I guess.  Anything
>     major though would likely mean a bunch of Red Hat employees suddenly
>     being available and so it might be worth taking a wait and see
>     approach.

> [...]

It's deja vu all over again :) It's got to be more than 20 years since I
first suggested using Debian at the time when rgb put out the CD release.

At that time, I used LAM as my entry to Debian (before passing it to
Camm Maguire who was much, much smarter and cleaned it up so that it
didn't conflict with mpich). Ive appreciated this list as one of the
last bastions of competence ever since.

You folks matter more than you know as a bastion of quiet, clear,
intelligent discussion - smart technical people doing what they do best.

All the best

Andy C.