[Beowulf] Frontier Announcement

Lance Wilson lance.wilson at monash.edu
Tue May 7 13:54:38 PDT 2019

It's very interesting to see the design choices! At least in the materials
characterization space most of the code is based on CUDA, so this system
will be useless for that community except for the cpus. Almost none of the
software development is done using AMD, so processor optimisations either.
It's good to see more competition but I'm not sure it's actually helping
the researchers.

The other community that will struggle is AI/ML as they are pushing very
hard into the CUDA space. There are very researchers that I've seen at
SuperComputing or locally that are using cpus for their research. AMD gpus
don't appear to have any capability in this area and will need to do an
awful lot to catch up. It seems a lot of money to be spent on a limited use
case machine.

I'd be keen to hear others experiences with AMD cpu and gpu systems?

Cheers,

Lance
--
Dr Lance Wilson
Characterisation Virtual Laboratory (CVL) Coordinator &