[Beowulf] How to debug error with Open MPI 3 / Mellanox / Red Hat?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu May 2 09:38:27 PDT 2019

Warming to my subject now. I really dont want to be specific about any
vendor, or cluster management package.
As I say I have had experience ranging from national contracts, currently
at a company with tens of thousands of cpus worldwide,
down to installing half rack HPC clusters for customers, and informally
supporting half rack sized clusters where the users did not have formal
support.

When systems are bought the shiny bit is the hardware - much is made of the
latest generation CPUs, GPUS etc.
Buyers try to get as much hardare as they can for the price - usually
ending up as CPU core count or HPL performance.
They will swallow support contracts as they dont want to have a big failure
and have their management (Academic or industrial)
asking what the heck just happened and why the heck you are running without
support.
The hardware support is provided by the vendors, and their regional
distributors.
So from the point of view of a systems vendor hardware support is the
responsibility of the distributor or hardware vendor.

What DOES get squeezed is the HPC software stack support and the
applications level support.
After all - how hard can it be?
The sales guys told me that Intel now has 256 core processors with built in
AI which will run any software faster
then you can type 'run'.
The new guy with the beard has a laptop which uses this Ubuntu operating
system - and its all free.
Why do we need to pay $$$ for this cluster OS?