[Beowulf] flatpack

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 22 23:06:56 PDT 2019

Having used Snaps on Ubuntu - which seems to be their preferred method of
distributing some applications,
I have a slightly different take on the containerisation angle and would
de-emphaise that.

My take is that snaps/flatpak attack the "my distro ships with gcc version
4.1 but I need gcc version 8.0"
By that I mean that you replace the distro shipped gcc version at your
peril - as far as I am concerned tiknering
with the tested/approved gcc and glibc will end you in a world of hurt.
(old war story - changing bash to an upgraded version left a big SuSE
system unbootable for me).

So with snaps/flatpak you should be able to give your users and developers
up to date applications without fooling with
the core system utilities. And this is a Good Thing (TM)