[Beowulf] Thoughts on EasyBuild?

John Hanks griznog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:33:30 PST 2019

Hi Faraz,

I've tried Easybuild, Spack and writing my own and my personal result was
that all these efforts just added an extra layer of complexity to the
process. For things that easily build, wrappers like this work great. But I
don't need them for easy stuff. For complex builds I seemed to always wind
up troubleshooting the build *and* the wrapper. ANd for fast moving
projects the wrapper seemed to always be behind. I think managing a stack
with modules (of any flavor) and just trying to do sane and rational things
with the organization in the software stack is about as good as it gets.
Also when '[yum|apt] install' solves a problem I'll happily do that and
walk away. At the end of the day if it was possible to put a wrapper around
this problem that fit everyone's needs, we'd all be running the same linux
distro and not having this discussion.

griznog