[Beowulf] Beowulf in the news

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Wed Apr 24 15:57:22 PDT 2019

On 17/4/19 4:14 pm, Lux, Jim (337K) via Beowulf wrote:

> In other news, I note that the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) used the
> well known (to beowulf list members)  “station wagon full of disk
> drives” approach to high bandwidth, high latency data comm.  This
> technique does have significant history in the VLBI field (station wagon
> full of digital or analog tapes).  The effective data rate from the
> telescope in Hawaii to MIT was 112 Gbps (700TB of data in 50,400 seconds).

Same trick the pulsar astronomers at Swinburne used to do with Apple
Xserve RAID boxes taking empty drives from Melbourne to Parkes and
returning with full drives with data.  These days they have connectivity
out to the dish thankfully!

This also had an application in HEP in Australia when it was cheaper to
fly someone to Japan to the KEK collider to recover data on tape than it
was to ship it over the 'net back to Australian researchers.

All the best,
Chris
--
  Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA