[Beowulf] Oh.. IBM eats Red Hat

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:10:23 PDT 2018

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Joe Landman <joe.landman at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 10/30/18 10:46 AM, Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf wrote:
>> TIL: A lot of you old-timers are really salty about systemd. ;)
>
> Some parts I like (integrated restart).
>
> Some parts are terrible (integrated restart).
>
> I especially like it when a dependency is in the slightly wrong order and it takes forever to boot/shutdown.
>
> Systemd is much like the RH anaconda/kickstart installer.  It is best to spend as little time under its control as possible.  To postpone much startup and shutdown stuff to scripting outside of systemd's control.  Gee, just like init of days of old.
>
> I've had to learn its ins and outs over the last few years, and while it improves some things, it makes a complete hash of others.  Its highly opinionated, and seeks to impose its opinion whenever possible.  Thankfully, some of its opinions can be (for now) controlled via /etc/systemd/*.conf scripts.
>
> I'll paraphrase Churchill here:  Systemd is the worst, except for all the rest.

As someone who occasionally still comes across someone who has put something in /etc/rc.local in the like 2015-2018 timeframe (and thinks doing so should be a “pack your stuff” type of offense), I am fully on the systemd train. Of course learning a new thing is irritating for the first little while, but especially in a stateless environment where you don’t want to have to be merging individual local changes into the same init.d text file every time the package is upgraded, it’s great. I’m pretty sure that the sole problem I’ve run into so far is the unit for GPFS (at least at one time) returning success before GPFS had started, which created problems for other stuff, and I had some difficulty properly understanding the difference between the various dependency keywords (Wants, RunBefore or RunAfter or whatever they are).

--
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'