[Beowulf] Contents of Compute Nodes Images vs. Login Node Images

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 23 10:48:00 PDT 2018

We’ve always had separate images for the login nodes and compute nodes with Warewulf. We’re getting some complaints that there’s not enough stuff in the compute node images, and that we should just boot compute nodes to the login node image (this is problematic for other reasons, but that’s another story — the general consensus is they want all the same software). I know this happens relatively frequently (generally after a new service has been provided, so that perhaps some new libraries are needed that weren’t previously present) at our site, but nevertheless there’s been pressure to throw the whole kitchen sink in there. Was curious what other sites were doing.