[Beowulf] Hacked MBs It was only a matter of time

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Oct 20 17:56:38 PDT 2018

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 11:47:17 PM AEDT Douglas Eadline wrote:

> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

So two weeks on and it looks like this wasn't real, and I've read somewhere
(though I can't find the reference now) that this isn't the first time for the
person who wrote that article.   A lot of people wrote about how this sort
of attack doesn't really make sense, there are far easier ways to do this
sort of thing (nobbled BMC firmware probably being one of the easiest)
and without the problems of possibly thousands of SM boxes trying to
ping back to a CnC server to set off alarms in a host of companies.

This sums it up nicely..

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1053102057245286401

Two weeks since Bloomberg claimed Supermicro servers were backdoored by Chinese spying chips.
No Evidence Whatsoever shows these claims real.
All companies angrily deny it to Congress.
Senior US intelligence including Rob Joyce refute it.
It’s time.
It’s over.
This is not true.