[Beowulf] More about those underwater data centers

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Nov 19 13:11:57 PST 2018

Actually, that particular liquid is flourinert. Flourinert boils at a
low temperature, so it evaporates pretty quickly at room temperature, so
it's not messy at all. Flourinert is similar to Novec, and Novec was
initially meant to be an electronics parts cleaner (according to the 3M
booth a few years ago), so part pulled out of that particular liquid
should be clean and dry in a few seconds after pulling them out of the
immersion tank.

That video is from the Allied Control booth
(http://www.allied-control.com/the-basics-of-immersion-cooling/). I
spent a decent amount of time there picking their brains on immersion
cooling. I also stopped by the 3M booth, and pestered them, too. Here's
what I found out:

1. I was wrong about not needed heatsink or some other surface treatment
for the CPUs/GPUs. CPUs & GPUS need to have a boiling enhanching coating
on them (BEC) to promote nucleation of the vapor bubbles (boiling). This
is a  pourous copper material. In the Allied examples, I believe this
was a separate metal plate held on to the processor with a clamp just
like a heatsink, but they can also be applied like a paint.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/563566O/3mtm-microporous-metallic-boiling-enhancement-coating-l-20227.pdf

https://www.1-act.com/boiling-enhancementmicro-porous-coatings/

2. Those lucite or Plexiglas (Perspex if your not American) tanks used
for demos are not good for everyday use. 3M recommends using welded
stainless steel. Glass can be used, but the caulk used to seal glass
tanks can be a problem. Some of the solids in the caulk can leach out
into the liquid and eventually foul the BEC. This web page below has
some good information on immersion cooling using 3M Novec:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/novec-us/applications/immersion-cooling/

Towards the bottom, under the heading "Learn more about liquid immersion
cooling and 3M data center solutions" are links to informative PDFs and
videos. In particular, I like this one which provides best practices for
building your own immersion cooling solution.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1010266O/3m-two-phase-immersion-cooling-best-practices-technical-paper.pdf

Prentice