[Beowulf] PMIX and Julia?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 18 11:35:56 PST 2018

I am really going to show my ignorance here. I just flicked through the
excellent OpenMPI BoF slides from SC18
https://www.open-mpi.org/papers/sc-2018/Open-MPI-SC18-BOF.pdf
This reminded me of something I have at the back of my mind. Clearly pmix
is intimately associated with MPI.
On the other hand I am a fan of the Julia language, which has its own
concepts of parallelism.
However for a cluster spanning across multiple machines Julia currently
assumes passwordless ssh will be used
https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/manual/parallel-computing/index.html#Starting-and-managing-worker-processes-1

Oooh - a bit of googling reveals that MPI can be used to communicate with
the processes
https://github.com/JuliaParallel/MPI.jl/blob/master/test/test_cman_mpi.jl

What I am really asking is will pmix be totally necessary when running on
near-exascale systems, or am I missing something? My thoughts are should
the Julia world be looking at mpix adaptations?
If someone with a clue about pmix could enlighten me I would be grateful.