[Beowulf] More about those underwater data centers

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Nov 8 07:40:04 PST 2018

Heat fins are used to increase the surface area used for heat transfer,
since the rate of energy transfer by conduction is directly proportional
the surface area. Heat fins are needed when air is involved because air
has such a low thermal conductivity.

Thermal conductivity of liquids are much high, so heat fins aren't as
necessary. For example, I've read that water can transfer heat orders of
magnitude better than air, so using water to remove hear from a
processor would need orders of magnitude less surface area for the same
energy transfer rate.

Also, liquids have higher viscosities than gases, so we have to worry
about 'boundary layers'. A boundary layer is area where the edge flowing
fluid is in contact with a solid. The friction between the liquid and
the solid slows down the fluid near the solid. This affects both gases
and liquids, but since liquids have higher viscosities, the effect is
more noticeable.

Think about a car's radiator - the air side has all the fins on it, and
the liquid side has smooth pipe walls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_layer

Convection heat transfer is an equally important mode of heat transfer
in fluids, and in the boundary layer, where the liquids aren't moving as
fast, heat transfer isn't as good, so you need to keep your boundary
layer from becoming too thick.

Since fluids have much higher thermal conductivities, and boundary layer
effects are more of a concern, I actually think a smooth heat transfer
surface would be better in these immersion cooling cases. I'm sure
smaller,  more spaced out fins would probably help heat transfer
without  creating too much of a boundary layer, but making those heat
sinks adds cost for increased performance in a situation where it
probably isn't needed.

Now direct-contact cooling systems like Asetek products  do have fins on
the liquid side, if I remember correctly, but that in those systems,
there are pumps to provide forced convection. In immersion cooling, you
are relying on natural convection, so there isn't as much driving force
to overcome viscosity/boundary layer effects to force the liquid through
the heat fins.

That's my thoughts, anyway.

Prentice