[Beowulf] More about those underwater data centers

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Nov 5 08:00:19 PST 2018

Prentice

On 11/05/2018 06:02 AM, Stu Midgley wrote:
> As far as I can tell, they are just using the salt water to reject the
> heat to.  How they get the heat from the cpu/hot bits to the water is
> not clearly stated...
>
> A passive heat exchanger would make energy sense... but would cost a
> bomb in engineering...  maybe direct fluid cooling (asetek) with a
> heat-exchanger to the salt water?
>
> Either way, its stupid.  They could just easily pump the cool salt
> water from the ocean into a DC, reject heat to it using the same
> methods... and pump it back to the ocean. Since no real delta in
> height, it would be efficient in energy.
The issue with this would be the increased maintenance cost of the
equipment pumping the salt water to the the DC, do to the corrosion from
the salt water, and overall 'dirtiness' of the saltwater. A better
approach would be to have a closed loop of treated freshwater going from
the data center to the a heat exchanger submerged in the sea. This
should reduce maintenance costs for the system.

Honestly, though, I think most of this is moot. With direct-contact
liquid cooling and warm-water cooling, I think for most data centers,
cooling to ambient air should be adequate. For places where that isn't
enough, I would think a shallow, man-made cooling pond on premises would
be an adequate heat sink, without having to go all the way to the ocean.
By keeping it shallow, at night when it cools off, the pond could dump a
lot of its heat to the atmosphere.