[Beowulf] More about those underwater data centers

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 05:40:12 PST 2018

putting data centres in the ocean is complete rubbish.

The most stupid and expensive exercise I've ever heard of.

Have they heard of a pump?

Heat-rejection to sea water is a good idea (rather than air) and will be a
whole heap more efficient... but you don't need to submerge your DC.  They
still need to get the heat off the cpu's to the sea...  that's where all
the real issues are.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:28 AM Lux, Jim (337K) via Beowulf <
beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/satya-nadella-the-cloud-is-going-to-move-underwater/
>
> I was amused by this:
> He cites proximity to humans as a particular advantage: about 50 percent
> of the world's population lives within 120 miles of a coast. Putting
> servers in the ocean means that they can be near population centers, which
> in turn ensures lower latencies. Low latencies are particularly important
> for real-time services, including Microsoft's forthcoming
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/microsoft-announces-project-xcloud-xbox-game-streaming-for-myriad-devices/
> .
> He cites proximity to humans as a particular advantage: about 50 percent
> of the world's population lives within 120 miles of a coast. Putting
> servers in the ocean means that they can be near population centers, which
> in turn ensures lower latencies. Low latencies are particularly important
> for real-time services, including Microsoft's forthcoming
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/microsoft-announces-project-xcloud-xbox-game-streaming-for-myriad-devices/
> .
>
>  I’m not sure there’s a huge population of Xcloud-Xbox gamers in Orkney.
> There's not much daylight this time of year, of course, so maybe that's
> what those Orcadians are up to.
>
> And I believe that 100% of the UK's population lives within 120 miles of a
> coast. ("coast" gets around the often contentious discussion of where the
> "sea" starts in the face of tidal estuaries and tidal flats - I was struck
> by the sheer volume of discussion related to "what point in the UK is
> farthest from the sea")
>
> --

Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com